The following information was excerpted from a press release announcing Nike’s second quarter fiscal 2014 results. Note that the information presented below comes from various sections of the company’s press release. The entire press release should be consulted for a complete discussion. To view the entire press release… click here.
- Revenues from continuing operations up 8 percent to $6.4 billion
- Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations up 4 percent to $0.59
- Worldwide futures orders up 12 percent, 13 percent growth excluding currency changes
- Inventories as of November 30, 2013 up 11 percent
NIKE, Inc. (NYSE:NKE) today reported financial results for its fiscal 2014 second quarter ended November 30, 2013. Earnings per share for the quarter were up 4 percent due to higher revenues as a result of strong demand for NIKE, Inc. brands, gross margin expansion, and a lower tax rate partially offset by the impact of higher SG&A investments in NIKE, Inc. brands and business capabilities.
“Our strong second quarter results show why NIKE leads the industry,” said Mark Parker, President and CEO of NIKE, Inc. “Our powerful portfolio fuels growth across our categories and geographies. Because we never stop innovating, we enhance our ability to serve the athlete, inspire consumers and elevate the marketplace. We will continue to seize the best opportunities to drive sustainable, profitable growth for our shareholders.”*
Second Quarter Continuing Operations Income Statement Review
- Revenues for NIKE, Inc. increased 8 percent to $6.4 billion, up 9 percent on a currency neutral basis. Revenues for the NIKE Brand were $6.1 billion, up 9 percent on a currency neutral basis, with growth in every product type, geography and key category. Revenues for Converse were $360 million, up 11 percent on a currency neutral basis, driven by strong performance in our largest owned markets: North America, the United Kingdom, and China.
- Gross margin increased 140 basis points to 43.9 percent. Gross margin benefitted from a shift in the mix of the Company’s revenues to higher margin products and businesses, higher average prices, easing raw materials product input costs and continued strength in the higher margin Direct-to-Consumer business. These benefits were partially offset by unfavorable changes in foreign exchange rates and higher labor product input costs.
- Selling and administrative expense grew 14 percent to $2.1 billion. Demand creation expense was $691 million, up 13 percent versus relatively low levels in the prior year, driven by marketing support for key product launches, consumer running events and upcoming global sporting events, including the World Cup and Winter Olympics. Operating overhead expense increased 14 percent to $1.4 billion due to investments in digital innovation and other growth businesses, as well as higher Direct to Consumer costs driven by growth and new store openings.
- Other expense, net was $13 million, comprised primarily of a charge relating to an adverse legal judgment in Western Europe and foreign currency exchange losses. For the quarter, the Company estimates the year-over-year change in foreign currency related gains and losses included in other expense (income), net, combined with the impact of changes in currency exchange rates on the translation of foreign currency-denominated profits, decreased pretax income by approximately $32 million.
- The effective tax rate was 25.1 percent, compared to 26.8 percent for the same period last year, an improvement primarily due to an increase in the amount of earnings from non-U.S. operations, which are generally subject to a lower tax rate.
- Net income increased 3 percent to $537 million while diluted earnings per share increased 4 percent to $0.59, reflecting a slight decline in the weighted average diluted common shares outstanding.
November 30, 2013 Balance Sheet Review for Continuing Operations
- Inventories for NIKE, Inc. were $3.7 billion, up 11 percent from November 30, 2012. NIKE Brand wholesale unit inventories increased 7 percent to support future demand. Changes in foreign currency exchange rates and product cost drove an approximate 4 percentage point net increase in NIKE, Inc. inventory growth.
- Cash and short-term investments were $5.2 billion, $1.7 billion higher than last year as a result of proceeds from the issuance of debt and sale of the Umbro and Cole Haan businesses in the prior fiscal year, as well as higher net income.
During the second quarter, NIKE, Inc. repurchased a total of 5.5 million shares for approximately $402 million as part of the four-year, $8 billion program approved by the Board of Directors in September 2012. As of the end of the second quarter, a total of 29.2 million shares had been repurchased under this program at a cost of approximately $1.7 billion, an average of $58.82 per share.
As of the end of the quarter, worldwide futures orders for NIKE Brand athletic footwear and apparel scheduled for delivery from December 2013 through April 2014 totaled $10.4 billion, 12 percent higher than orders reported for the same period last year, and 13 percent higher on a currency neutral basis.*
NIKE management will host a conference call beginning at approximately 2:00 p.m. PT on December 19, 2013, to review second quarter results. The conference call will be broadcast live over the Internet and can be accessed at http://investors.nikeinc.com. For those unable to listen to the live broadcast, an archived version will be available at the same location through 9:00 p.m. PT, December 26, 2013.
About NIKE, Inc.
NIKE, Inc., based near Beaverton, Oregon, is the world’s leading designer, marketer and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly-owned NIKE, Inc. subsidiaries include Converse Inc., which designs, markets and distributes athletic lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories and Hurley International LLC, which designs, markets and distributes surf and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories. For more information, NIKE’s earnings releases and other financial information are available on the Internet at http://investors.nikeinc.com and individuals can follow @Nike.