Steelhead XR Fairway Woods
Product Name: Steelhead XR Fairway Wood
Product One-liner: Iconic Versatility with Modern Power
Editorial Emargo: June 20, 2017
At Retail: July 14, 2017
– Callaway has improved the iconic shape that helped make the original Steelhead one of the best-selling Fairway Woods of all-time
– The modern hawkeye has been re-contoured to increase versatility and smooth turf interaction to promote clean, square contact from every type of lie (in the fairway, rough, or even out of tall grass)
– Features a steel face, with a J-36 carbon crown that’s lighter, allowing our engineers to save weight that is redistributed in strategic locations in the head to move the CG lower and more forward, making it easy to launch with low spin like the original
– Features the modern power our industry-leading Hyper Speed Face Cup that has helped us redefine ball speed in the fairway wood category, and made us the current #1 Fairway Wood brand in golf as well
– Also features Speed Step technology for increased aerodynamic performance, a wide range of lofts, and a premium stock Mitsubishi Tensei CK shaft.
The original Steelhead was one of the most popular fairway woods of all time because of its uniquely beautiful shape and innovative Hawkeye Sole, which enhanced versatility by encouraging smooth turf interaction to promote solid contact from almost any lie. With the new Steelhead XR fairway wood, Callaway has improved that iconic shape, made the head more forgiving and easy to launch, and refined the sole to make it even more versatile and playable than the original Steelhead fairway. And we super-charged it with modern, power-producing technologies to promote more distance, both off the turf and from the tee. Steelhead XR construction combines a steel face and body with our J-36 carbon crown, which weighs just 6 grams, which is 20 grams lighter than the XR fairway crown. The weight saved by the crown allows us to distribute more weight in strategic locations within the head to position the CG lower and more forward, making Steelhead XR easy to launch with low spin – another way it resembles the original.
The modern Hawkeye Sole has been re-contoured to increase versatility by reducing friction with the turf to promote clean, square contact more often, even from tall grass. Next-generation Hyper Speed Face Cup technology incorporates an extremely thin and flexible boundary area to encourage fast ball speed across a larger area of the face for long distance, even on mis-hits. Our proven Speed Step technology, developed from a unique collaboration with aerospace experts, improves the head’s aerodynamics to promote faster head speed for more distance. The premium stock shaft, Mitsubishi Tensei CK, is engineered to deliver the optimum balance of power and control.
A wide variety of lofts are available including 3+wood (13.5°), 3-wood (15°) , 4+wood (16°), 5-wood (18°), 7-wood (21°), 9-wood (24°) and Heavenwood (20.5°). The original Steelhead 4+wood was a particularly iconic club; its return is sure to please a great many golfers. (Women’s Steelhead XR fairways available in 3-, 5-, 7, 9, Heavenwood)
Technology Features & Benefits
Easy Launch from Classic Steelhead Shape + Modern Hawkeye Sole
We improved the iconic Steelhead shape and refined our modern Hawkeye Sole to create a versatile, confidence-building head that’s super-easy to launch.
Fast Ball Speed from Next-Generation Face Cup Technology
Our next-generation Hyper Speed Face Cup is exceptionally efficient at delivering fast ball speed and distance across the entire face, especially on mis-hits.
Extreme Forgiveness from a J-36 Carbon Crown and Shorter Hosel
Lightweight J-36 carbon crown saves substantial weight that’s repositioned in the perimeter for more forgiveness, easier launch, lower spin and added power. The shorter hosel frees up even more weight in the head and looks appealing too.
Fast Head Speed from Speed Step Technology
Developed with direct input from aerospace experts, our proprietary Speed Step improves aerodynamics for fast swing speed and distance.
Premium Stock Shaft for Power and Control
Stock Mitsubishi Tensei CK shaft is designed to engineered to deliver the optimum balance of power and control.